Permanent Exhibits

Philip Pawluk: Pioneer Carpenter

PH003841_1_    PH003843_1_   PH003855_1_   PH003840_1_ 

Prior to emigrating in 1908, Philip Pawluk had apprenticed to a cabinet maker in his native village. Once in Canada, he combined woodworking with artistic skills to become a respected church carpenter, whose work is recognized in churches across east-central Alberta. Over some fifty years, Pawluk worked on more than fifty churches, building either a few pieces or a complete set of church furnishings.
 

New Home in the West

New_Home_in_the_West

The exhibit New Home in the West is dedicated to Canada's Ukrainian pioneers. A traditional thatch-roofed house and part of an actual, 1920s-era house with verandah evoke an image of the first decades of the 20th century. These two structures represent the building styles of the settlers' first and second permanent dwellings. They are set on the canvas of two murals painted by Windy Scott-Hanson of Stony Plain. An array of early pioneer artifacts and Ukrainian costumes helps to illustrate the Ukrainian immigration story. Photos and stories about local families create a colourful walk through the past.
(Opened in 1997.)

 

The Basilian Fathers and Their People

The_Basilian_Fathers_and_Their_People_Exhibit    The_Basilian_Fathers_and_Their_People_Exhibit_2
The exhibit Basilian Fathers and Their People gives a historical account of the Basilian Fathers' mission in East Central Alberta. It takes visitors back to the 10th century, when Ukraine adopted Christianity. It also touches on the history of the Basilian order, which takes its name from St. Basil—the 4th century bishop who established the first monastic rules in what is now Turkey.

The exhibit tells the story of the Basilians' journey to Canada and the establishment of their first mission at Beaver Lake, near present-day Mundare. Stories and photographs document the Basilian Fathers' work in Alberta, where they continue to serve dozens of parishes and thousands of faithful. The domes and arches of traditional Ukrainian churches inspired the layout and structure of the exhibit, which illustrates a wealth of church customs and religious traditions.
(Opened in 1993.)

 

Service in the Vineyard of the Lord

Service_in_the_Vineyard_of_the_Lord_1     Service_in_the_Vineyard_of_the_Lord__2     Service_in_the_Vineyard_of_the_Lord__3
The exhibit Service in the Vineyard of the Lord celebrates the lives of the monks, priests, bishops, nuns and lay people who served the Lord by serving the Ukrainian people in Canada. In telling the stories of these dedicated individuals, the exhibit outlines the history of the Basilian order and traces the development of the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Canada from 1902 to the present time.

Four important eras of church history are presented. Each is symbolized in the murals which provide a backdrop. The murals, painted by Jorgos Zarkadas of Edmonton, depict four churches which were major landmarks in Ukrainian church history.

The exhibit showcases pieces from the Basilian Fathers Museum collection, which includes liturgical books dating as far back as the 15th century; original, 18th- and 19th- century icons painted on wood panels; and religious artifacts such as chalices, vestments and candle holders.
(Opened in 2003.)

 

 

 

 

FREE Website!

This site contributes to Town of Mundare.